- First create an HTML page with your favorite HTML editor, and name it productID.html, where 'productID' is the actual product ID of the product you'd like to add the spec sheet to. If you're not sure what the product ID is, navigate to the page in your site, then take a look at the URL. It should look something like this: www.yourdomain.com/p-12-productname.aspx. Right after the 'p-' and before the 'productname', there's a number. This is your product ID. After you've created your spec sheet, upload your HTML file to the descriptions/productspecs folder of your site.
- Login to your AspDotNetStorefront admin site, and navigate to the "edit product" screen.
- Click on the Options tab on the far right. About halfway down the page, you'll see a couple of fields called "Spec Title" and "Spec Call".
- Spec title is the actual link text that will show up on your product page. This should say something like "Click here!" or "Click for more info!". If you leave this field blank, the default text will appear, which simply says "Additional Information".
- In the field below, enter the path to the HTML file you created that contains the information you want to appear in the pop up window. In this example, we're adding specs to Product ID 31, so my html file is 31.html and I've uploaded it to the descriptions/productspecs folder on my site.
Coder’s Corner – Expand Product Details with Spec. Sheets
One of my favorite features in AspDotNetStorefront also happens to be one of the least used. Many products in your eCommerce store may end up having extra long product descriptions, and sometimes, that may cause the user to have to scroll to read it all, or they may miss other valuable information on that page, or they may see the 10 mile long product description, decide they don't feel like reading that much, and close the page altogether! So, how do you keep your product detail pages short and sweet without losing all of that valuable information? Spec Sheets! Spec sheets are great for storing additional information related to the product that there just isn't room for on the page. This feature creates a link for you on the page that goes to a pop up window that contains your extra details. This can be a bullet list of product specifications, manufacturer content, warranty information, or anything else product related. The page is even HTML, so you can put any text or images in here you like. To use this feature: